the end of an era

okay maybe not that dramatic, but i’ve really just always wanted to say it.

i’ve been working on the wording for this for a few weeks, and my heart has been working on it for quite a bit longer. about a year ago i sent out an email to our email subscribers letting them (you) know about all the changes taking place at imperishable clothing co. the point in all of those changes was so that i could spend the majority of my time with my family once magnolia arrived in august of last year. we restructured everything about the way the business ran, from printing to wholesale to packaging, everything…i even relinquished our social media to rachel (i loved that part). we shifted gears on everything + the business ran like a well oiled machine…it was so nice.

then magnolia showed up.

i’ve known from the minute she showed up that my job is no longer imperishable clothing co. it’s taken a good while to say it out loud to other people, in fact you may be reading this knowing now that i’ve lied to you in the last six months. until right now i haven’t shared this with more than five or so people who i’ve asked to pray with me (if you’re one of those people, you’ll never know how thankful i am for you). i’ve prayed over this daily for months. i wanted nothing more than for the Lord to tell me i was made for both, mommin + a thriving business – “we can make our plans, but the lord determines our steps” – proverbs 16:9.

that’s not what He said.

i’ve struggled with it, this is my ministry, this is how i tell people about my savior, this is how i help others tell people about their savior, this is my creative outlet…but actually this isn’t mine at all, is it? i know that it’s all His, it always has been + it always will be. every single time i try to make something work it doesn’t, every time i try something new it fails, but every time i let Him have something He opens a door that leads back to my family. everything in our lives has lined up so that i can stay home with magnolia. everything. our sales have slowed significantly, our lease is up in a few short weeks, our home is under contract, we found a tiny little 80 year old home that puts us a crazy amount closer to richard’s work, i found a mommy + me workout group (judge if you must), most importantly richard supports me. i have an unmeasurable amount of peace surrounding this decision.

so with all of that said, our valentines release will be the last for a bit. not forever. i’ll continue this as a side business + offer restocks from time to time or pop up shops at local stores|coffee shops. but the logistics of that are still up in the air. what i do know is that richard and magnolia are my priority. and at the end of the day, i have zero doubt that the Lord can get the gospel out without my business, after all “He is the God who made the world and everything in it. Since he is Lord of heaven and earth, he doesn’t live in man-made temples, and human hands can’t serve his needs—for he has no needs. He himself gives life and breath to everything, and he satisfies every need” – acts 17: 24-25. He’s already got this jazz planned out.

this is not at all a post stating that all women should up and quit whatever it is that they are passionate about + stay home raising babies. my mom is a great mom + she currently still works too many hours in a week. this is just to say that for the riley’s this is what we feel the Lord calling us into for this season of our lives.

so what does this all have to do with you?

it for sure means i don’t want to move an entire business down three flights of stairs + into a storage unit until we figured out what’s next. we will offer pretty decent discounts on all things imperishable until our move out date. as with any business those discounts will start out smaller + increase as the weeks pass by. so if you’re an abbey go ahead and place your orders so you ensure you get what you want, as we will not be restocking any time soon. if you’re a rachel hold out until the very end + rack up some killer deals on things the may or may not be your size – you do you.

no it does not give you permission to use my designs as your own – i don’t care if it’s a side hobby, you’re a big time screen printer, or you do vinyl – don’t rip off my work. that’s shady, and thievery. remember i, like you still have a family to contribute to.

read above i don’t want to move an entire business down three flights of stairs – we have already started selling fixtures, furniture, equipment (as well as some of the items from our home) on a separate instagram account (here). we will continue to post things as they clear off.

if you sort of like us – hopefully you do – you can follow our personal instagram (here), you can subscribe to our blog (you’re here now), you can follow us on pinterest (here). don’t unfollow the business on social media, unless you really want to. we will share any updates there!

i want to sincerely thank you for the best job i’d ever had up until august. i’ve been so encouraged, inspired, blessed by so many of you. i never thought i’d have to opportunity to ship my work around the world everyday + hear how the Lord orchestrated a conversation about the gospel through a tee, and because of you cats i have. if you have any questions about anything please feel free to shoot us an email, leave a comment below, post on instagram…whatevs.  because you took the time to read what’s on my heart, i want you to get first pick. use the code TOOMUCHTOMOVE for 30% off everything. this code will be available to everyone else starting next week.

thank you for reading this. i know it was so long.

24 Comments

• ohnowwehaveababy
      3rd February 2017 / 2:39 pm

i know!!! except you live in alaska.

1. Joy
    3rd February 2017 / 2:50 pm

I applaud you for being brave! For listening to that still, small voice. For showing your faith as you step out in this new adventure! For encouraging us to prayerfully seek the Lords direction in our lives. Good luck and I’ll be following!

2. Colleen Chaney
    3rd February 2017 / 2:53 pm

May God continue to bless you and your family as you seek to follow His will and not your own. You go, girl. ☺
    My 6 yr. old son and I both love wearing our ” Jesus Saves, Bro” tees!

3. 3rd February 2017 / 3:07 pm

I’m sad to hear about your business, but I am also so happy for you! Staying at home with my kids has been a total blessing, and I wouldn’t have it any other way! I know that with you feeling settled on this in your heart, you will not be stressed or anxious about your decision and you’ll find so much joy because this is what God has planned for you.

I will continue to sport your apparel though! The pieces I own are some of my favorites. Thank you so much for creating a brand whose mission is to spread the word about Jesus! xo

4. Renee
    3rd February 2017 / 3:08 pm

Thank you for sharing your heart. I’ve been encouraged by your ministry and had several interactions with others when wearing my JESUS SAVES BRO shirts. God bless and best wishes to you and your family. Being home with your child is the best blessing a mom could ever have!

5. Blanca
    3rd February 2017 / 3:10 pm

Good for you and your family! Best of luck! surrender your fears to the Lord and step out in Faith❤

6. Jennifer Robson
    3rd February 2017 / 3:11 pm

I’m so glad that we ‘officially’ met a couple of weeks ago and I really love seeing your heart for 1) Jesus 2) family! I love your post and as a local, I’ll support your business/hobby for as long as you let me! I think Scarlett and Magnolia should meet!

7. 3rd February 2017 / 3:21 pm

Wow. I love this more than I could ever convey in a blog comment. Kudos to you for listening to His prompting. You will be blessed beyond your wildest dreams for listening. This also makes me want to purchase just about everything that I can in my size!! I’ve bought a few things before (LOVE my Blessed tee and get comments on it all time time!)
    Now time to follow you and that beautiful Magnolia on IG! 💕

8. Jennifer
    3rd February 2017 / 3:24 pm

Thanks for sharing your journey with the Lord! He is faithful and will never fail! I’m excited to see what He has in store for your precious family.

9. Caley
    3rd February 2017 / 3:46 pm

Congrats on making family first and following God’s lead. While I am selfishly sad about the downsizing ( I love love love your t-shirts for all 3 of my boys!) I am also excited for how God will work in you, your family and in the live’s around you during this time. Now I’m off to make sure we will be stocked for the next sizes in tees 😉 P.S. Thank you for providing my family a way to declare Jesus’ name in our every day lives–all by the way of a t-shirt.

10. Jennifer Sennett
    3rd February 2017 / 4:14 pm

I am so happy for you and your family. Our children are only young for a short amount of time or Season, and it is wonderful that you are making these changes. I believe this will lead you to the next part of your Journey. We NEVER know what God has in store for us! Blessings to you, your family and your work family. Thank you so much for creating this creative ministry to spread the Gospel and Jesus’s love for us! Time for me to splurge and stock up I guess! ❤️

11. justina
    3rd February 2017 / 4:28 pm

So good!! God so honors obedience. Thank you for sharing!! Now for that 80-year-old house…:)

12. Valerie
    3rd February 2017 / 4:35 pm

Thank you for taking the leap of faith in creating an amazing brand! As a new mom, this post made me teary eyed because I understand how high the stakes are to be there for family while following your calling. God bless you and your family as you continue to be obedient to Him.

13. 3rd February 2017 / 4:57 pm

wonderful, wise words! all the best and prayers for your sweet, growing family! we adore your dear tees in our house but appreciate your honesty and willingness to follow Jesus where He is leading you even more!!!

14. Darienne
    3rd February 2017 / 5:27 pm

What a brave, wonderful decision for you and your family. Our Father knows what is best for his children and so long as we follow the steps he has ordered, we will find happiness in ourselves and our circumstances. Congratulations! We’ve loved all of the clothes we’ve purchased and will make sure to be an Abbey and get while the getting is good! God Bless you on your journey mama!

15. Rachel Sever
    3rd February 2017 / 9:06 pm

This has the gammit of emotions. I don’t know you personally (@shortiamnot on instagram if you wanna though), but appreciate your heart. I LOVE your eye for design combined with scripture. I can see how God has blessed you with this talent. “Mommin'” is the most important. May God (continue to) bless you, your family, and business. Now, I’m goin to check out the store cause even though my name is Rachel, I’m most certainly an “Abbey”.

16. 4th February 2017 / 1:22 am

Good for you! Your perspective and desire to follow the Lord’s will inspires me. My children are 12 and 7 years old now. I was only home with my 12 year old for 2 short years. I have worked TOO many hours since then. You can’t get years back once they are gone. If I could have a do-over I would.

I’m excited for you and your family. I also hope to get in on some of those sale items 🙂

17. Megan Landwerlen
    4th February 2017 / 1:48 am

I have loved your business, but I’m so impressed that you have given this decision to the Lord! I will continue to follow you for sure!

18. Allison
    4th February 2017 / 4:41 am

Nichole, this made me cry. I’ve been so impressed with your bravery and willingness to listen to the Lord since you first began this venture. And it’s been amazing to see it flourish as a result. but your willingness to walk away for a bit to care for your family and be obedient to the Lord is even more admirable.

19. Barbara Harrison
    4th February 2017 / 5:17 am

Nichole, I realize I’m far removed from your generation but it was my generation that thought women could only be completed by having a caree. Five years into my marriage, Kevin was born. I continued to work and the opportunity to cut my hours gave me more time with he and Myron. Five years later, Jason was born. The decision was made for me to stay home. Never, not one time did God not provide what we needed. Really, He continued to bless us beyond measure. Not one time did I feel incomplete. In fact, I found ways to fulfill me so much in so many ways…teaching Children SS classes, grade mother, volunteering at school, taking craft classes (crocheting, painting etc.)loved Summer’s when the boys were home, so many good times. You know how blessed I am by the life both Kevin and Jason live and the love of seven grandchildren. Today, (as you know) my life changed drastically when Myron passed away in 2012. I’m very comfortable as God has continued to bless me. In a time when families face so many challenges, you and Richard will be blessed by your decision. The choice you and Richard have made, reading your post is a blessing to me. The world would be much enriched if everyone had this same personal relation with Christ. I love the three of you very much and thank God for the Godly parents the two of you are living.

20. Karen steele
    4th February 2017 / 5:15 pm

Love your blog, love your testimony, love that you are making a big decision with God’s leading- planting great seeds, a wonderful harvest will surely follow, especially in the life of your own family. So proud of you.

21. 11th February 2017 / 1:41 am

Staying at home with my son was the best choice I ever made. You won’t regret the time with your little one.

22. 15th February 2017 / 2:24 pm

love you so big friend! i’m on the same exact boat 🙂 so glad our hope is in Jesus ♥