a month off

hey guys!! i’ve been gone for a bit. i decided to take my first full month of being a stay at home, business owning, blogger mom off to just spend some time with this rugrat. and by that i mean i only restocked imperishable once, and took way too many pictures of magnolia!! y’all. i want to make sure she remembers everything, because i’m slightly morbid + inevitably something is going to happen + i won’t be here!

during my blogging break we’ve just spent a lot of time crawling around on the floor. that’s normal, right? magnolia started crawling this month so, as most of you know, everything now takes like three times as long as before. we also went to california, for a work/vacay trip. it was too short. we opened a booth at a local antique shop. we spent lots of family time together.

here are a few of those way too many photos of this silly girl who made me a mama!!

we went to lunch early this month with my sisters + mama. magnolia got to hang with her cousin collins + i let her try a doughnut for the first time.

lucy ran away + spent the night at the ballrooom studio down the street. so obviously we were all happy to have her back!!

we celebrated her first Easter + made her serve at our good friday service. while we appreciate nursery so much, we also want to start teaching her the importance of showing your love for the Lord by serving in His church!

we took her for her first trip to the beach while in cali. we stopped by matador just at sunset + it was glorious.

magnolia also had a little fun with grow lovely photography while we were on the west coast!!

grow lovely photography | paci clips

then we took her back to the beach. she loved the sand so much. but y’all the pacific water is so darn cold.

swimsuit (it’s on sale right now).

we finally let her have her first taste of icecream this past weekend + she’s hooked!!

we ended our break with this reminder of why i downsized my business. i get to spend my days with this girl. i may not get to shop at anthropologie whenever i want now + i may not have the option to just drop what i’m doing to have “fun” but man is this a good (exhausting) gig.

but speaking of being a mama. it’s almost mother’s day guys. we want to celebrate by sending someone a super fun mother’s day gift. because sending gifts is my jam + feel like if it’s a spiritual gift, it’s mine. but we want you to nominate the most deserving mother you know.

in the comments below, i want to hear who you’d send it to + why. as deserving as i’m sure you are, please don’t nominate yourself. #noshameinsendingyourhusband.

i’ll randomly select a recipient on monday!! after which i’ll contact you for the address.

– if you get sketch + send me your address, you’re the only one who will know. but you’ll have to live with the fact that someone may have needed that gift. ++ you’ll be a turd. don’t be a turd –

39 Comments

1. Stefanie
    3rd May 2017 / 3:56 pm

I nominate my mom, Robin. She has been driving an hour and a half each way one to two times a week to come visit her 7 week old grandson and to let me shower and eat, and help me clean up the house. She has Lymes Disease, so I know that it has been using up all of her energy to come support and love us, and yet she keeps doing it even when I tell her to save her energy for herself. She is so excited to be a grandmother and it would be lovely for her to receive a surprise gift!

3rd May 2017 / 3:58 pm

what a beautiful woman she sounds like!! so self sacrificing!! but also congratulations on a sweet new baby!!

2. 3rd May 2017 / 5:26 pm

Your daughter is so precious! And all these photos are priceless!
    I nominate my mama Zina. She’s the most selfless person I know, both at home and at work (she’s a hospice nurse). The sacrifices she made for our family are too many to count, and I’d be lucky to be half the mother she is. ๐Ÿ’•

9th May 2017 / 3:29 am

oh wow!! a hospice nurse is a tough gig!! i’m sure she’s a great mother!!

3. Tara
    3rd May 2017 / 6:15 pm

I am nominating my best friend Mahaley. She has had such a rough year–a hard pregnancy with baby #2 (bleeding, a large cyst wrapped around her ovary resulting in surgery at 23 weeks pregnant), and a month after baby was born her 35 yr old husband had a stroke and was in the hospital for 6 weeks. He has lost movement in his left arm and is slowly working back on movement and putting weight on the left leg. After 6 weeks of being at home, he had an infection, had to have surgery, and was again in the hospital for 6 weeks because of this infection that was in his blood and a surgery that left a gaping wound. He has now been home for 8 weeks and he is getting stronger every day. All during this time, Mahaley was on maternity leave with two children (newborn and a 3 yr old) and did her best to go to the hospital every day to see her husband. When she had just started back at work again was when he came home for the first time. Then again she needed time off for when he had the infection. Her job did not approve her request for Short Term Disability so she now has no time off to use the rest of the year and has to pay back her job for days off that she previously had used that she was not allowed to use. At this time, it is unknown if her husband will ever work again. She is organizing therapy and daycare and other medical appointments for everyone. She has stayed strong through all of this but their spirits can sometimes get very low because of having a lot happen at one time. She is one of the strongest people I know.

8th May 2017 / 6:48 pm

wow!!! what an inspiration to us all!! it’s crazy to me how the Lord gives mamas the strength to keep going when others look in + say, “there’s no way i could handle that”

4. Christa
    3rd May 2017 / 7:18 pm

I nominate my big sister Carrie! She has been through so much and is rocking being a single mom. But of course that means sacrificing things she wants for Jackson. She does so much for him and also for my daughter Maggie. She is the best mother and aunt around and deserves the sun the moon and the stars ๐Ÿ’™

8th May 2017 / 6:49 pm

she’s pretty great!! and she’s got two nominations ๐Ÿ˜

5. Natalie
    3rd May 2017 / 7:37 pm

I nominate my friend Carrie. She is mom and dad to a pretty great kid! She sacrifices herself so her son can play sports all year round and she’s right there helping coach every team! I would love for her to receive a special gift and actually get to think about herself for once!

6. Brittany sweat
    3rd May 2017 / 9:09 pm

I nominate my sweet friend Kristina who just beat Hodgkin lymphoma last year while taking care of her 2 year old daughter. She impresses me everyday with her faith and strength!

8th May 2017 / 6:50 pm

there really are mama’s out there that are just kick life’s butt!! what an inspiration!!

7. Carrie Richey
    3rd May 2017 / 10:08 pm

I would like to nominate my aunt Angela, she is a wonderful momma who works enough hours in a week to equal 2 full time jobs, she always makes sure every one in her life has what the need or even want and with that she always pushes herself aside. She has just recently been accepted to North Georgia Tech where she will continue her education this semester to persue her nursing degree. She is not only my aunt and my best friend but also an amazing mom who deserves the world ๐ŸŒŽ!

8th May 2017 / 6:52 pm

good for her!! getting that degree she wants so she can then further support her family ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿ™Œ

8. Tahreem
    6th May 2017 / 11:02 pm

I nominate my mom! I am living with her currently and even though she has been to the ER last month for dizziness and vertigo and is having health issues herself, she has been an incredible support to me. Since I am having issues in this last trimester and can’t be on my feet for two long, she has taken care of everything from cooking to laundry and comes with me to every single one of my numerous OB and physical therapy appointments. I am so very blessed and grateful to have her in my life.
    Thank you!

8th May 2017 / 6:53 pm

what an example!! it’s crazy that as adults we see how crazy strong our own mamas are!!

9. Shazia F
    7th May 2017 / 12:28 am

I nominate my mom because she does so much for me and my family despite having hyperthyroid, diabetes, hypertension, and etc. I don’t know how my mom continues to take care of us (by providing food, love, support, etc) despite her numerous health problems. That’s why I believe she’s the most deserving mother I know. I’m more than glad she’s my one and only Mama! She more than just deserves me. Thank you.

8th May 2017 / 6:54 pm

as adults isn’t it so crazy to see how strong our own mamas have always been!! they’re like super human ๐Ÿ™Œ

10. 7th May 2017 / 10:48 pm

I’d like to nominate my sister- in- law Michelle. She is the the best mom to my nephews and her kids are always first. She is the most selfless mother I know and I honestly love that about her + admire her for that. After multiple miscarriages she finally has her dreams fulfilled with her two precious boys (both who were preemies) and just two years apart. She works countless hours as a cardiac nurse but still is always mom before anything else. She is so deserving and never does much for just her !

8th May 2017 / 6:55 pm

wow!! being a cardiac nurse is hard enough if image!! that on top of mommin ๐Ÿ™Œ

11. Emily
    7th May 2017 / 10:51 pm

I nominate my friend Kara. She became a momma the same time I did, and is always mothers with so much grace. She recently had her second child, and could most definitely use some momma love. Always giving all of herself for her friends, family, and children.

9th May 2017 / 3:31 am

i also have a few friends who i was pregnant with!! so much fun, right?? thanks for nominating her!

12. Jamie Morrow
    7th May 2017 / 11:31 pm

I would like to nominate my mamma. Although all of her kids are grown, she continues to be a mom to her kids as well as anyone else that needs a mamma. She’s a self-sacricing woman who serves at our church as a children’s ministry director, talk about the ultimate mom! She is definitely deserving of all the love this Mother’s Day.

8th May 2017 / 6:57 pm

isn’t it so great that our mamas don’t give up on us as adults!! i think sometimes we need it more now than as children (maybe that’s just me ๐Ÿ˜‚). she sounds like such a lovely lady!!

13. 7th May 2017 / 11:38 pm

I nominate my mom, she always put all us kids and grandkids first. She watches the kids in the evening when I go to work till my husband get home from work and that’s after she has worked all day. She such a selfless woman who never does anything for her self and would love a special package in the mail.

8th May 2017 / 6:59 pm

wow!! how selfless she seems!! but it seems you may be as well, working opposing shift from your husband + raising littles!!

14. Megan Chancellor
    8th May 2017 / 12:25 am

I want to nominate my friend, Jennifer Gutierrez. She ‘s a brand new Momma to a precious baby boy who was born 10 weeks early. He’s a fighter who just graduated from the NICU and is now home, safe & sound. While she was learning to be a Momma (figuring out breast pumping, daily visits across Houston to visit her baby, etc.) she had to get an emergency appendectomy. So, she’s had a c-section, appendectomy & now potentially gall bladder surgery all within a couple months. Yet she is one of the most optimistic & joyful individuals! She praises Jesus in every storm and is an incredible Mom. She would be a great recipient of a Mother’s Day Prize! Thanks for doing this ๐Ÿ™‚

8th May 2017 / 7:00 pm

what an inspiration!! and hooray for NICU graduation ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿ™Œ

9th May 2017 / 3:41 am

megan!! i selected your post as my random selection!! if you could shoot me an email at ohnowwehaveababy@yahoo.com that would be terrific!!

15. Danielle Aikens
    8th May 2017 / 2:38 am

I would send it to my mom. Currently she is preparing my dad for a pretty invasive surgery tomorrow morning. She will remain at the hospital with him while he is in ICU for the first 48 hours + the remainder of the week, depending on how the surgery goes. She also decided it would be a great time to clean out her house, so she’s been working like crazy to do that, in addition to everything else. She helps every day with our kids and home schools them, which is a huge help to us. She teaches Sunday School, volunteers at our church food pantry, and loves using her talents to serve in our church. If someone is sick or has lost a loved one, you can count on her to bring them a meal, or help out in any way she can. She doesn’t do a lot for herself, and instead, puts her family and friends first. I think with everything that’s going on right now, this would be an amazing surprise for her. ๐Ÿ™‚

8th May 2017 / 7:02 pm

wow!! she’s busy danielle!! i had no idea she was helping to home school the kids!! i’m sure they enjoy that time with her!! and girl, i’m praying for you dad today!!

16. Karen orozco
    8th May 2017 / 4:51 am

I nominate my mom patty! She is the most loving mother and grandma! She actually takes care of her 4 grandkids 3 times a week. The kids are all under 5. So she has her hands full. She loves doing it but it is also very exhausting for her. Her health is also not to well if you could pray for her I would really appreciate. Thank you in advance. It would be nice for her to receive a surprise gift!

8th May 2017 / 7:03 pm

wow!! that’s a handful! just one under 5 is crazy busy!! what a strong mama!!

17. Lindsey
    8th May 2017 / 1:21 pm

I nominate my best friend and military sister, Amanda. She has a two year old and another on the way. Her husband has been gone off and on for most of her sons life. She is a strong and amazing mother. I’ve never watched someone parent with such kindness. And her little guy sure is turning out to be a bright, kind young man. She balances it all from car repairs, to lawn maintenance, to making sure dinner is on the table every night. She was a rockstar during the deployment of her husband and even though work has been demanding 12+ hours per day since his return, she’s still rocking it and loving her family through it all. Proud to call her my friend!

8th May 2017 / 7:05 pm

those military mamas are some of the strongest around!! i’m so thankful for their sacrifice for our country. it’s such a great one that shouldn’t ever go unnoticed!!

18. 8th May 2017 / 2:37 pm

My lovely friend Jessica! She is seriously such an amazing Mom! Besides God…she puts her family first. No matter how tired and how many sleepless nights… she makes time to cook, bake with her kids, do crafts, play outside, run around back and forth to school for the older one while with the baby through 20 inches of snow. She definitely puts others before herself always. And is ALWAYS there for me, her friend that’s now a new Mom, which we all need that support system to help us through. She’s the best Mom and the best friend ever!

9th May 2017 / 3:33 am

ahh, she’s a good one!! and she managed to do allllll that + bring you starbucks yesterday!! she really is a champ!!

19. Karen orozco
    8th May 2017 / 3:08 pm

Hi I commented yesterday. I believe my post got deleted? if it did would you be able to tell me.

20. 8th May 2017 / 6:37 pm

Hey! I’d like to nominate Abby Stancil, my pretty wife. I don’t know how much you saw on Facebook back in November, but after we had Judah, things got rough on the health side. We almost lost her on Thanksgiving morning, four days after Judah was born, and she didn’t really get to come home to him for nearly a month after that. It was a hard time. She’s recovering slowly, and I know a surprise gift would be pretty cool for her. Thanks for the random giveaway, Nichole. ๐Ÿ™‚

9th May 2017 / 3:34 am

philip, so great of you to nominate that lovely wife of yours!! i had no idea that she’d gone through all of that. she’s truly an amazing gal!!